Psychiatric Care for Adolescents
The inpatient program for teens focuses on stabilization of the current psychological and emotional crisis as well as reduction of symptoms within a structured, safe and supportive environment.
Help for teens is here at NCBHS.
Adolescent Mental Health Care Specialists
Our clinical team of adolescent care specialists recognizes the unique needs of individuals dealing with challenges during their teenage years. These challenges can be intensified or aggravated by existing mental health issues, such as underlying depression, anxiety, mood instability, or trauma.
Some common reasons teens and their families seek inpatient treatment include:
- Mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder)
- Anxiety disorders (generalized anxiety, panic disorder)
- Suicidal thoughts or attempt
- Self-harm behaviors
- Threatened, attempted or engaged in physical violence to others
- Co-occurring psychiatric and substance use issues
Strength-based Approach to Treatment
Our clinical team provides individualized care through group therapy and education, as well as working with each patient to build necessary coping skills.
Individuals will learn how to develop healthy boundaries, appropriately express emotions, utilize effective communication, manage anger and build social skills.
- Group and individual therapy sessions
- Recreational and expressive therapies, such as art therapy, music therapy, and animal-assisted therapy
- Stress management and coping skills groups
- Education about medications
- Education on mental health conditions
- Discharge planning and preparing for next step in follow-up care and support
& Building Positive Behaviors
Family members can also be involved in the treatment process when appropriate. Our team seeks to understand the family’s view of the patient’s situation and to provide education on the teen’s current difficulties.
- Goal setting
- Problem solving
- Positive thinking
- Positive peer relationships
- Respect for authority
- Impulse control and delayed gratification
- Expression of feelings (regarding self and others)
- Conflict resolution
Once stabilized, NCBHS hospitals offer comprehensive outpatient services for teens. As part of the discharge planning process, the Next Step to Wellness program is discussed with patients as an excellent option for follow-up treatment upon completion of the inpatient stay.
+ READ MORE
- SHOW LESS
Benefits of our Outpatient Programs for Teens
We serve patients stepping down from an inpatient setting, as well as individuals needing support that can help prevent the need for hospitalization. Outpatient programs offer a much-needed intermediate level of care, serving as a bridge between inpatient hospitalization and a traditional office outpatient setting.
The Teen Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) runs weekdays, 3x a week. Additionally, we offer a Teen Telehealth IOP. Our Teen Telehealth IOP connects with clients remotely by phone, tablet, or computer. With user-friendly, HIPPA-compliant communications technology, clients are able to continue their journey toward healing from the comfort of their own personal space.
Why Choose NCBHS
The NCBHS mission is to restore an individual’s mental health and quality of life through our commitment to kindness, service, and healing in all we do. At our state-of-the-art psychiatric facilities in Sacramento and Santa Rosa, we make learning about self-care a priority.
This form is monitored during regular business hours only. Weekdays 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.